Sunday, August 15, 2010

Plot or Characters, the Challenge of Writing

I've read many stories where I'm not even fond of the main character, but the situation is dynamic enough to keep me turning the pages (or click the right arrow in e-books). I wonder what will happen, and mostly, how the character will develop. Having the story line build around the strengths and weaknesses of characters is a big part of this urge to keep reading.

Several years ago, a blogger ran a "which comes first" series of interviews with different authors, asking if their novels have started with the character or with the plot. The answers were interesting, and nearly 60% have said plot comes first.

I'm in the minority again. I'm one who answered characters first. Most of my novels have started with definite features of the protagonist. As I think this through, I began to know all my characters as if they were kin: their family situations (siblings, and extended family); if they're passive or aggressive, and whether or not something helped shape them that way. I know their favorite foods and pet peeves, and pretty much know how they will respond to stress, adversity, surprises, joy.

With these traits firmly in mind, I then form a story that will test my characters. Usually I have a backdrop, because that's part of the character's life. But the puzzle and mystery of forming this story is the enjoyable challenge of writing. Very often the characters surprise me, by responding with a few wrinkles I hadn’t conceived. These add complexity to the story and characters; and I write away—smiling, certain I'll have characters that will compel a reader.

1 comment:

D. Nathan Hilliard said...

I think it's a bit of a chicken and egg conundrum, since I believe a lot of plot is actually dictated by the charactor. The story and situation often wouldn't be possible without that particular person being the main charactor.

On a side not, I think Steven R. Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series were the only books that ever managed to hold my attention with a main charactor I honestly didn't like.