Friday, January 7, 2011

Rethinking the N-word?

Needless to say, the N-word (to be PC) is not one of my favorite words. And the use of it in literature has caused many books to banned by libraries, and not used in many school systems. The re-publication of Twain's Huck Finn is making people rethink this again. Here's a thoughtful article on the Charlotte News Observer's blog, The Reading Life.

There is definite pain involved in hearing slanderous and intentionally cruel terms leveled at you. Being black American and Indian American, I have many times been on the receiving end—often when the speakers thought I was out of earshot and just as often when they sneer and look right at me. I have inured myself to it and can keep on walking with no desire to lash out. That, I know, is useless.

When writing historical fiction, I am conscious of the language of the time-period and like to stay in sync with that. But I also know the reaction to terminology that pops up today, from enlightened non-black Americans to those who still feel the lash in that word. It's a tricky line to tightrope. I've found that in dialogue, an unsavory character can speak all kinds of rough language without using the words many find offensive; the character is still obnoxious and crude. But the intent is the same. I think this is what NewSouth, Inc. intends by changing the Twain text.

I do often wonder, however, if people object to use of words because it puts the character saying them in a bad light—a place they themselves might be because they identify more than they want to admit.

There's a good chance a lot of self-recrimination will be lost with the change in Twain's text. More people might read the American Classic, but will they understand what Twain was intending? I tend to agree with Pam Kelly and Frazer Dobson. I think a lot will be lost.

3 comments:

jrlindermuth said...

Well said. I tend to agree with the article you referenced above. Personally I wouldn't use the n-word in reference to another person. Nor would I employ other racist/ethnic terms commonly heard in reference to people. I prefer to think of us all as belonging to the same race--human.
But to deny the existence of such denigrating terms and their origins is unrealistic. The human race still has a lot of evolving to do.

Anonymous said...

Truth is truth, how one packages it lends to criticism. I was holding my little mixed blood grand son, thinking how I would have thought of him thirty years ago. And then it struck me across the back of the neck like Jim Crow's walking stick (if the bigot had one). "So, you might have turned your back on this milky black pearl back then?"

Shamed, I'll say no more than a most eye opening, masterfully written piece, without the 'master' of humbled course.

Name's Ross Osborn, yet could only get anonymous to post.

Kae said...

Thanks for the comments, John and Ross.
@ Ross: Sorry the identity thing didn't work. Thanks for leaving your name.
Peace