Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Serpent in the Thorns

Serpent in the Thorns
Author: Jeri Westerson
288 pages, published September 2009 by Minotaur
I plucked this book from my Public Library, New Book shelf.

On occasion I enjoy reading books set a very different locale. Since I write American historical fiction and science fiction, I'm drawn to something that isn't in my bailiwick. Serpent in the Thorns certainly fit that.

I was immediately swept into the 14th century London setting. Jeri Westerson does a great job conveying sense of place--one of the keys to keeping me a happy reader.

The mystery involving series protagonist Crispin Guest, was intricate and filled with action as Guest is drawn into political intrigue of the Court (Richard II) and dealings with France--the very type of situation that had Guest's knighthood stripped from him seven years earlier. So rather than being part of the Court, he lives in a poorer part of London and employs himself as a "tracker" (a PI, if you will).

All the characters were smartly drawn and distinctive. I felt some loose ends in the story development, but I nitpick on these things.

This is a good action mystery--well-written and vivid.

You can learn more about Jeri Westerson and the Guest series at her Web site

No comments: